Monday, November 23, 2009

CHAPTER THREE

Juliette’s point of view:
Next thing I know my father is waking me up because it was time to get off the plane. I felt like I was walking to my doom as I took my carryon bag out of its huge chubby, and started down the ramp to my new American lifestyle.
As soon as I got to the American Airline luggage claim I found a Boy looking at me with interest. I flashed a smile (which was probably a bad idea). My dad had just gone to the bathroom and the population of people at the luggage claim was becoming less and less. Soon the boy and I were the only people standing there waiting for a luggage to come out into view on the conveyor belt. This is normally about the time when the perfect smile I give to some people comes back and bites me. He looked over at me and flashed what I call a hundred watt smile which means that he’s interested but doesn’t want to make the first move until they are sure that you will respond positively. This was usually the worst way to see if the girl will like you enough, but it is a very common thing among American boys! I thought with a smirk.
I pretended not to see him smiling at me. But I guess he was what Americans would say a player or womanizer, because he waited about five seconds for a response then walked toward me keeping his hundred watt smile intact.
Hey I am Jonathan, What’s your name? He asked me with a ten watt smile.
Bonjour Monsieur, parler vous France? I asked pretending I did not speak English
He looked at me with amaze and even more interest.
Bonjour mademoiselle, oui parler vous France! He replied in French.
Darn I found one that speaks more than one language. I looked at him up and down and gave him that look that says I don’t know if I should talk to you because your giving me I and I am desperate vibe!
Hello Jonathan, my name is Amy. I said fibbing about my name in English.
Oh so you do speak English. His voice dripped with excitement and a hint of desperation as he spoke.
Oui, oh sorry I mean yes! I said without even looking him in the eye.
So did they lose your luggage to? He asked trying to start a conversation before he would ask for my number later on!
Umm… there could only one reason that I am still sitting here other than looking for luggage and that would be hitting on you. But from the vibe I was giving him he already knew (or should know) that I was waiting for my luggage! I thought with a few weird faces.
Well my luggage did not come out and the conveyor belt isn’t even rotating anymore. I replied giving him the cold shoulder attitude.
Oh, well do you want to go to the desk and ask whether or not we should come back tomorrow to get our luggage that was “lost”. He asked hoping he would get to see me again tomorrow.
But I know how to end the deal with this guy who obviously already gotten his luggage cause it was in a very messy pile on the floor behind him.
Ummm… sure I just have to wait a few seconds he should be out in a second. I said looking over toward the men’s Bathroom.
May I ask who you are waiting for your uncle or dad or something? He asked putting himself right inside my little trap.
Oh no I am waiting for my boyfriend to come out of the bathroom he had to change out of his military uniform. I said looking deep in his eyes.
You know what, I think I am at the wrong luggage claim anyway and it’s probably sitting there by my girlfriend is looking for me. He said trying to prove that other girls want him and that I wasn’t needed.
Umm… ok well why is your girlfriend all by herself shouldn’t you be with her? I asked in an innocent voice.
Oh Ummm…. I got to go to Ummm find ok I’ve got to go. He stammered on as he grabbed his bags from the pile on the floor and ran to the exit.
I chuckled under my breath and whispered all American boys are so predictable! When my FATHER came out of the bathroom we walked over to the desk to have our luggage located and see if we could have it sent to our new casa ( I mean home)
Your luggage was put on the wrong plane Mr. Jadoré we are so sorry for the inconvenience. The tall lady said behind the desk sweetly.
Ok well can we have the bags shipped to our house or should we just wait here for them to arrive. I replied quickly.
Umm… well you your luggage is on a plane to Asia right now. But we can have them shipped to your address and they should arrive within 2-3 days. She said with uncertainty.
Ok well that would be great if my father knew the address of our house! I replied sticking my earphone’s to my I -pod in my ear.
The woman gave us a look like then there is only one thing we can do. You can spend the night at the hotel across the street for one night for free and we will have them shipped to your suite.
I plopped down on a little chair that seemed to be half broken.
I had already known what type of conversation my father and this lady were having and that means that my first night in this nameless state would be at some two star hotels that is very uncomfortable and nasty. And I hadn’t even pulled out my headphones to hear what they were saying!
I whispered a very bad word in French just barely loud enough for my dad to hear.
He turned around and gave me the behave look. I shrugged my shoulders grabbed my carryon bag and walked over to the desk piercing my eyes into the the lady behind the desk. My eyes always told what mood I was in. and for most boys they would start to like me because of them. They were many different colors like brown, green, and grey and just full of expression.
The lady stretched the arm out toward my dad holding the paper that will allow us to stay at that dump (I mean hotel) for free. But I wasn’t gonna wait for my dad to untangle his arms from his heavy carryon bag, so I snatched the paper and headed for the nearest exit. And all this without even taking the headphones out of my ears. I knew that as we walked away the lady behind the desk was lost in a sheet of confusion.

No comments: